Barnardo's Children and Young Peoples Advocacy and Rights Service
Barnardo's provides the advocacy and children's rights services to give a voice to children and young people across, and who are cared for by, Lincolnshire. This service will assist young people to access available services and help to resolve any issues affecting their care. The service is free, led by the children and young people we work with, and confidential.
This service is new from 1 July 2015.
Barnardo's advocates work with children and young people who:
- Have serious concerns about their care
- Want greater participation in decisions being made about their future
- Wish to challenge decisions being made about them
- Wish to make a complaint
- Are subject to Child Protection issues
Barnardo's is a member of the Total Voice Lincolnshire partnership, made up of VoiceAbility, Barnardo's Age UK Lincoln, Citizens Advice across Lincolnshire and Lincs2Advice.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Total Voice Lincolnshire - The Hub
5 Mill House
- North Kesteven
- NG34 7TW
Barnardo's advocates regularly visit:
- Strut House
- Haven Cottage
- 33 Northolme
- The Beacon
- Albion Street
Time / Date Details
- Time of day
- Referral required
- Professional Referral
- Referral Details
You can download a referral form from Total Voice Lincolnshire
- Other notes
The Total Voice Lincolnshire children and young people's advocacy service, delivered by Barnardo's is free and confidential for young people and may relate to:
- High risk taking behaviours
- Substance misuse / dependency issues
- Risk / vulnerability because of a range of factors
- Behaviour that challenges
- Difficulty engaging with services
- Additional development or learning needs
- Disability needs
- Seeking asylum
- Those from a ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds
- Specific age range
- 0 - 18 Years
Barnardo’s can meet the Local Offer by ensuring our information about the service is available in an accessible format and is regularly updated. This is detailed and will be monitored alongside Barnardo’s comprehensive communications plan.
In relation to SEND, Barnardo’s will be involved in the advocacy of the people with which we work:
- Children and Young People will be supported to access education and health provision linked to the Special Educational Needs and Disability reforms within the Children and Family Act 2014
- Children and young people will be supported to identify realistic aspirations and what they need to achieve them
- Develop skills in planning and reviewing as well as confidence in speaking up on their own behalf
- Explore and express their wishes and needs
- Access more appropriate services
- Children and young people will be supported to identify their own educational and pastoral needs necessary for them to successfully access and maintain an appropriate educational setting.
We will also be involved and support the Lincolnshire Learning Disability Partnership Board (LDPB).
Barnardo’s East Region currently delivers large scale disability inclusion support services in the North East and West Yorkshire. These CQC registered services provide specialist support, which include young people’s forums, Crisis Intervention Service, Short Breaks and Parent Partnerships. We are skilled and experienced in support and empowering children, young people and families to have their wishes and views heard.
We are able to draw on our knowledge from the service, and that from our colleagues elsewhere in Barnardo’s to provide expert support and guidance.
- Specialist Facilities
Drawing on our organisational experience, we are able to use specialist communication methods such as; Makaton; BSL; Widget, and other graphic communication systems; picture/emotion cards; communication Boards to gain an understanding of the individual’s wishes and views
- Training details
All paid advocates must have completed the required accredited advocacy qualification by the end of the first year of their employment.
All staff and volunteers working for Barnardo’s must complete the following mandatory training; Safeguarding including local safeguarding policy and practice, Equality and Diversity, Health and Safety and Service User recording. Training is also available in communication methods listed above as well as specialist legislative changes such as Health and social care legislation.
Barnardo’s award winning in-house training team offer a suit of developmental training opportunities, with a blended learning approach (to suit a range of learning styles as well as efficient training delivery). Courses such as Courageous Conversations, Behavioural Management, and Participation/Rights.
This service is listed for your information. Its inclusion on the Family Services Directory does not imply endorsement, approval or recommendation by Lincolnshire County Council. For more information, go to Terms & Conditions