East Midlands Alternative and Augmentative Communication (AAC) Hub Service
The service is based in Lincoln and provides specialist assessment and equipment provision for children and adults who have significant expressive communication difficulties which require an alternative or augmentative communication system.
The assessments can be carried out at the most appropriate place for the client eg home, school, hospital, care home etc. Following the assessment, a recommendation will be made regarding the most appropriate AAC system for the client – this may be a low tech (symbol / paper based system) or high tech (voice output communication aid) solution.
The team consists of SLTs, OT, SLTAs, Clinical technologists, technology assistants.
The team work in partnership with the local SLT service – this local service is then responsible for on-going implementation of the communication system as required.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Fen House
- North Kesteven
- LN6 8UZ
East Midlands including Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, Rutland, Nottinghamshire (excluding Bassetlaw), Derbyshire, Northamptonshire and Milton Keynes.
Time / Date Details
- Opening Times
Opening Times Day Opening Time Closing Time Monday 09:00 17:00 Tuesday 09:00 17:00 Wednesday 09:00 17:00 Thursday 09:00 17:00 Friday 09:00 17:00
- Referral required
- Professional Referral
- Referral Details
Referrals are made via local SLT services. Please contact your local SLT to discuss referral to the service.
• A severe / complex communication difficulty associated with a range of cognitive, learning or sensory deficits
• A clear discrepancy between their level of understanding and their ability to speak
They also must:
• Be able to understand the purpose of a communication aid
• Have developed beyond cause and effect understanding
• Have experience of using low tech AAC which is insufficient to enable them to realise their communicative potential
• Gp of patient should be in ‘catchment area’ (Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire (excl. Bassetlaw) Northamptonshire and Milton Keynes)
This service is listed for your information. Its inclusion on the Family Services Directory does not imply endorsement, approval or recommendation by Lincolnshire County Council. For more information, go to Terms & Conditions