Skip to main content

Educational Psychology Team

Educational Psychologists in Lincolnshire are employed by Lincolnshire County Council to work with young people between the ages of 0 - 25, their teachers and their parents to help them make the most of learning opportunities.

Educational Psychologists work with those young people who have the most complex needs, for example autism, attachment issues, emotional wellbeing. An Educational Psychologist usually becomes involved with a child or young person when those working with that child in their educational setting feel puzzled about how to help them with their learning and development.

In order to find ways of helping children make progress, Educational Psychologists work with parents, teachers and other staff following the 'assess, plan, do, review' cycle as outlined in the SEN and Disability Code of Practice. They do this by talking with parents, teachers and other professionals about any concerns there might be about a young person's learning.  This could take place at a Bookable EP Session or in a school as part of our traded work.  When engaged in traded work with schools, in addition to talking with parents and school staff, the Educational Psychologist might also observe the young person in the setting. They might also talk to the young person and may work directly with him/her. They do all this to try to build a picture of strengths and interests and any difficulties the young person might be experiencing within school.

The Educational Psychologist will use the information gathered in order to help teachers or parents identify actions to try to address the young person's needs. These actions are likely to include targeted interventions for the young person and may also include the delivery of training to staff so that the adults who work with the young person can become more skilled in meeting their needs.

Another key role of the Educational Psychologist is to provide psychological advice to the Local Authority as part of the Education, Health and Care needs assessment process.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Rhona Paterson
Contact Position
Senior Educational Psychologist
01522 554673
01522 553554
The Educational Psychology Team
Parent Organisation

Where to go

The Vicarage
The Vicarage
County Offices Newland

Time / Date Details

Opening Times
Opening Times
DayOpening TimeClosing Time
Monday 08:45 17:00
Tuesday 08:45 17:00
Wednesday 08:45 17:00
Thursday 08:45 17:00
Friday 08:45 17:00

Other Details


Referral required
Professional Referral
Referral Details


Educational psychologists will always strive to work in partnership with parents/carers and with other key adults in order to plan appropriate interventions which will help your child.

You’ll know when an educational psychologist is involved with your child, because you’ll have:

  • signed a consent form; and
  • been offered an opportunity  to discuss your child. This is most likely to be at a Bookable EP Session in your locality or it might be as part of a review meeting within the setting.

If the SEND Team have agreed that your child requires an Education, Health and Care needs assessment (EHCNA), an Educational Psychologist will arrange to  see your child in their setting, and will talk with you and with key adults in the setting. In this way they will gather as much information as they can about your child before writing a report (psychological advice) as part of the EHCNA process.

Other notes

Educational Psychologists have some experience of using picture exchange and/or signing

Specific age range
0 - 25 Years
Local Offer

Local Offer


All Educational Psychologists have knowledge, skills and experience in a range of issues relating to child development, including autism, ADD and ADHD, anxiety, self esteem, emotional and mental wellbeing, learning and development.
They also have knowledge, skills and experience in relation to school systems, levels of intervention and support, and the SEN and Disability Code of Practice 2014.

Educational Psychologists have a degree in Psychology (or equivalent) and have specialist post-graduate training which involves child development, including how young people think and learn, behave, communicate and maintain relationships. They are all registered with the Health & Care Professions Council (

  • Experience with ADD & ADHD
  • Anxiety, resilience and mental wellbeing
  • Autism
  • Behavioural, social and emotional needs
  • Cognition and learning
  • Physical and sensory needs
  • Social Communication Difficulties
Local Offer Age Bands
Primary (4-10 years)
Secondary (11-16 years)
Transitions to Adulthood - Push to second line (16+)
Early Years (0-4 years)
SEN Provision Type

This service is listed for your information. Its inclusion on the Family Services Directory does not imply endorsement, approval or recommendation by Lincolnshire County Council. For more information, go to Terms & Conditions

Back to top