Skip to main content

Is my 2 year old entitled to free child care?



If the parent(s) claim one of the following benefits:

• Income Support

• Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)

• Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

• Universal Credit and they must have an annual net earned income equivalent to and not exceeding £15,400, assessed on up to three of the parent’s most recent Universal Credit assessment periods

• Tax credits and they have an annual income of under £16,190 before tax

• The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit

• Support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act

• The Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)


Or, if:


• The child has a statement of special educational needs made under section 324 of the Education Act 1996

• The child has an Education, Health and Care plan prepared under section 37 of the Children and Families Act 2014

• The child is in receipt of Disability Living Allowance under section 71 of the Social Security and Contributions and Benefits Act 1992

• They are looked after by a local authority (under section 22(1) of the Children Act 1989)

• They are no longer looked after by a local authority as a result of an adoption order, a special guardianship order or a child arrangement order

Apply now
Back to top