Skip to main content

How schools and other Educational settings support children with SEND

1. What is SEND? 2. Identifying and Assessing SEND 3. How schools and other Educational settings support children with SEND
4. EHC Needs Assessment 5. SEND IAS -  Information and Advice Service 6. The Graduated Approach

3. What schools and other settings will do if they are concerned about your child's progress

All children learn differently - some faster than others.  Your child's teacher will use different teaching styles and lesson materials to help individual children learn.

Your child's teacher will regularly assess progress for all their pupils.  These assessments can identify pupils who make less than expected progress given their age and circumstances.

Less than expected progress might be seen as:

  • Your child's learning is significantly lower than that of their classmates;
  • Failing to match or better your child's previous rate of progress;
  • Failing to close the gap in attainment between your child and their classmates;
  • The gap between your child and their classmates widens.


SEN Support

If your child's learning and development has not progressed as expected, even with teaching methods adapted to your child's learning, then your child MIGHT have Special Educational Needs (SEN).  Your child's school or pre-school will call/write to discuss extra support.

Extra support (also known as SEN Support) will be developed to help, and will reflect your child's needs and the support available in the school or setting.  SEN support can include the following:

Under 5
  • a written progress check when your child is 2 years old;
  • a child health visitor carrying out a health check for your child if they’re aged 2 to 3;
  • a written assessment in the summer term of your child’s first year of primary school;
  • making reasonable adjustments for disabled children, like providing aids like tactile signs.

Nurseries, playgroups and childminders registered with Ofsted follow the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) framework.  The framework makes sure that there’s support in place for children with SEND.

Talk to a doctor or health adviser if you think your child has SEND but they don’t go to a nursery, playgroup or childminder.  They’ll tell you what support options are available.

Between 5 and 15

Talk to the teacher or the SEN co-ordinator (SENCO) if you think your child needs:

  • a special learning programme;
  • extra help from a teacher or assistant;
  • to work in a smaller group;
  • observation in class or at break;
  • help taking part in class activities;
  • extra encouragement in their learning, e.g. to ask questions or to try something they find difficult;
  • help communicating with other children;
  • support with physical or personal care difficulties, e.g. eating, getting around school safely or using the toilet.
Young people aged 16 or over in further education

Contact the college before your child starts further education to make sure that they can meet your child’s needs.

The college and your local authority will talk to your child about the support they need.

Your child's teacher or the school's SENco will discuss all options with you and a plan will be put into place.  This plan will follow a four stage cycle.  The four stage cycle is known as Assess – Plan – Do – Review, or can also referred to as a "Graduated approach".


What happens next?

If your child or young person has been getting SEN Support for a while and expected progress is still not being made, then the school or setting (or you) may consider requesting an Education, Health and Care Plan Assessment.

< Previous

Idenitifying SEND

Next >

EHC Needs Assessment



Back to top