Skip to main content

Housing Adaptations

1. Transitions 2. Housing Options 3. Housing Adaptations

3. Housing Adaptations



Equipment and adaptations are available which may help you stay independent. There is also support available to help you choose the right equipment or adaptation to suit your needs.

The Lincolnshire Community Equipment Service (LCES) can provide equipment for you to use in your own home, to help you remain as independent as possible. Equipment can be provided for people of all ages including children with disabilities.

The equipment that LCES provide can be simple equipment such as walking frames and crutches to aid mobility. LCES can also provide more complex equipment such as beds, mobile hoists, and pressure care equipment.

You may be required to pay for equipment from LCES; this will depend on your individual needs and situation. 

To speak with someone about your equipment needs call the Lincolnshire County Council Customer Service Centre on 01522 782155.



The Wellbeing Service can provide minor adaptations to your home or help you arrange major adaptations.

Adaptations can help you to stay safe by reducing the likelihood of falls and accidents around the home. During your assessment, they will look at how you move around your home and help you to identify adaptations and equipment that could improve access to and within your home. Other providers of adaptions can be found on Lincolnshire's Connect to Support providers directory

Minor adaptations

A minor adaptation is a small change to your home to make it easier for you to live in. Minor adaptations include:

  • grab and hand rails - so you can use your arms to help you move around your home
  • second banister rail - to make it easier to go up and down stairs
  • Simple alterations to enable easier access to and from your home.

Major adaptations

The Wellbeing service can offer advice and guidance about major adaptations, either through self-funding or helping you to complete your initial application for a Disabled Facilities Grant, if appropriate.

An example of a major adaptation is the construction of a downstairs shower room which has no steps, for easy access.

Disabled Facilities Grants applications are usually made through district councils.

Lincolnshire Home Independence Agency also provides major and minor home adaptations for people with mobility issues, from specially adapted bathrooms and kitchens to installation of grab rails and banisters.  They can provide specialist adaptations for people with dementia and sensory impairment, and help to future proof homes.  Customers include people who pay for the adaptation themselves and people who are eligible for grants.

< Previous


Back to top