Skip to main content

Housing and Living Independently

1. Transitions  2. Housing Options 3. Housing Adaptations

2. Types of Housing

People with learning disabilities have a right to make choices about where they live, and who they live with.  There are different types of housing options available.  You may need extra help and support with every day activities and support to live independently however you can get information and advice when it is needed.


Supported Tenancy

A supported tenant shares a home with someone who has a learning disability. They live together as friends, flat mates or they may be a couple. Household tasks and bills are shared between whoever lives in the house. The supported tenant agrees with the care provider about doing some additional things to help the person with the disability, this helps the person live more independently then otherwise possible.



Once you are 18, you are legally able to sign into a private rent tenancy. By signing into a tenancy it gives you important rights but also some responsibilities. You shouldn’t feel forced or rushed into making a quick decision.

More information on Private Rent


Supported Living

Supported Living is a way of helping adults with disabilities to have the opportunity to live as independently as possible. The young person may already have their own tenancy or own home, but needs support with their care

Shared lives

Shared lives is the name of an arrangement where you live with a family and take part in family life.

The benefits of being part of shared lives include:

  • finding independence
  • learning or relearning the skills they need to live independently
  • enjoying life as part of a family and making new friends
  • joining with their family’s community
  • having a safe place to help them get ready to move into their own home


Please see for more information on shared lives scheme.


Buy to Rent

Buy to rent is where a parent, or other close relative, buys (or builds) a property and then rents it out to their son, daughter or other family member. This property may be a house, flat or bungalow which can be adapted if needed. It can also be a bungalow built in the garden of the family home.


Collective Ownership

Parents can join together when they feel there is no suitable accommodation locally, this is known as collective ownership. By joining together, they can pool resources and develop a new service for young people to share.

More information on Collective Ownership


Shared Ownership

Shared Ownership is where you buy part of a property, usually between 25% and 75%. The part of the property that you don’t own, you have to pay rent on. If you buy a smaller share, the mortgage cost goes down, but the rent increases.


More information on Shared Ownership



HOLD means home ownership for people with long-term disabilities. The government can help people with a long term disability, buy any home for sale on a shared ownership. You can only apply for the HOLD scheme if the homes in the other shared ownership schemes don’t meet your needs.

elp people with a long term disability buy any home for sale on a Shared Ownership.

More information on the HOLD Scheme


Shared supported housing

This is a form of provision for people with learning disabilities.  This could be between three and five people, each person having their own bedroom with support in place, if needed. The rest of the property is communal space such as the kitchen, lounge and dining area,  which will be used by all the tenants. Support can be provided subject to assessment under the Care Act, and the support could range from direct support, access to on-site support or floating support.


For further information and guidance on housing options please go to Learning Disability England, Reside Housing and

Please note that any care and support required for supported living arrangements is determined by an assessment from Adult Social Care.  If you meet the criteria for care and support, any services provided will be subject to a financial assessment.  This will determine how much contribution you will have to make towards the cost of your care.  If you do not meet the criteria for services and support from Adult Social Care, you can make your own arrangements, and will pay full costs for your care and support.

 < Back

Next >

Housing Adaptations

Back to top