Skip to main content


1. What is Leaving Care? 2. Housing 3. Money
4. Employment 5. Useful Words 6. Education
7. Life Skills 8. Emotional Well Being

Where you will live when you leave care will be discussed in your pathway plan well in advance of the date you are due to leave care.


Housing for 16 and 17 year old care leavers

If you are under the age of 18 and are either a Eligible Child or a Relevant Child, then it is the Local Authority's responsibility to not only pay for your housing but also to make sure it is suitable.

For many young people, moving straight to independent living is too big a step.  This means that you will be given options such as:


Housing from the age of 18

Once you turn 18, you will no longer be known as 'Eligible Child' or 'Relevant Child', but as a 'Former Relevant' and the level of support your receive for housing changes:

  • You will become responsible for paying your own rent and expenses like other young people your age. 
  • If you remain in education, i.e. College or university until the age of 25, then accommodation will only be paid for during term holidays (only applicable if not living at home with family)

In most cases, where you live when over the age of 18 is the same for care leavers between the ages of 16 and 17.  You may be able to stay in the housing offered to you when you left care, and some people may choose to stay in their supported lodgings, youth housing or staying with a foster carer (Staying Put arrangement).  However, many will also choose to move on to the next stage of living independently. 



You MAY be eligible for help towards moving in to your new home.  For further information, please see our Leaving Care Money Page.

< Previous

Next >

Back to top