Skip to main content

Registered and Unregistered childcare

1. Childcare Providers 2. Types of Childcare Available 3. When Should You Look For Childcare?
4. Choosing Childcare 5. Help With Childcare Costs 6. Registered and Unregistered Childcare
7. Childcare outside Lincolnshire 8. Childcare for School Age Children

6. Registered and Unregistered Childminders



There are a number of options if you are looking for childcare for children under 5 years old, unless you wish to use informal childcare such as a friend or a relative, otherwise childcare should be registered.  Registered childcare has been inspected by Ofsted to make sure it meets the required standards.  The premises are also regularly inspected to ensure they are suitable and safe.

People working as registered child carers have to meet strict standards of care.  They are usually Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checked.

The following types of childcare are usually Ofsted registered:



Unregistered childcare is more informal than registered childcare.  It includes family and friends who look after your child or care when you’re present, such as parent and toddler groups.  Parents and carers using unregistered care cannot claim Tax Credits.

The following types of childcare are usually unregistered:


There are lots of childcarers listed on the Family Services Directory but if you need any further help finding a childcarer near you, or whether you have any other questions, please call the Family Information Service on 0800 195 1635 Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm or email  

< Previous

Next >

Help with Childcare Costs
Looking for Childcare Out of Lincolnshire
Back to top