Skip to main content

Homeless Young People 16-18 years

1. Are you a Care Leaver? 2. Eligible Children 3. Relevant Children
4. Qualifying Children 5. Former Relevant 6. Homeless Young Person
7. Former UASC (Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Child) 

6. Are you a Homeless young person?

Sometimes things happen at home which means you may not want or can't live at home any more.  Reasons for not living at home could range from arguments and being kicked out, to no responsible adult at home to look after you.  If you are living on the street or sofa surfing then you are considered a homeless young person.

If you are homeless and between the ages of 16 to 18, then you can go to the Housing Department or straight to Children's Services.  Either way, you will have to be assessed by Children's Services.  The assessment is called "Child in Need" and falls under section 17 of the Childcare Act 1989.

While you are being assessed, Children's Services must find you somewhere safe to stay as soon as they learn you are homeless or at risk of being homeless.  They will ask you questions about your situation, and will want to know if anyone in your family can look after you.  If this is not good for you or safe, then you will not need to go back to your family.

If after the assessment you are seen as a "Child in Need", then this means you are a "Looked after Child". 


Children's services should support you by:

  • Providing advice and support;
  • Provide or pay for your accommodation;
  • Making an assessment of your needs;
  • Helping with education choices;
  • Providing financial support

All support given by Children's Services will stop once you reach 18.

< Previous

Next > 

Former relevant child
Former UASC (Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Child) 
Back to top