Skip to main content

Services and Support for Early Years

1. Early Years and Starting Primary School 2. Identifying and Assessing Children's needs in Early Years 3. Services and Support
4. Preparing for Primary School 5. Childcare Providers

3. Services and Support for Early Years and their Families

Once your child has been assessed and a Graduate Approach has been put into place, you are able to access many different services and professionals that will be able to help you and your child.


Health Visitors

The Health Visiting service provides advice, information and help to parents and their new baby from pre-birth to their first year at school.  This service is provided across Lincolnshire by Lincolnshire County Council as part of the Children's Health Service 0-19.  Your Health visitor will see you approximately 5 times at different intervals between you being 25 weeks pregnant to when your child is 2 ½ years old.  During this time, you will be able to get support and advice about your child's development through early years.

Further information about Health Visitors, The Early Years.



Portage is a scheme for teaching pre-school children with special educational needs new and useful skills within their own homes.  The Portage Home Visitor works with parents within their home planning activities that can help with a child's development.  Portage Home Visiting worker offers weekly visits working together with the parents/carers to give the best support needed for your child.  Within Lincolnshire, we have eight Portage teams that are funded by the Lincolnshire County Council.

Further information about Portage within Lincolnshire.


Children Centres

Within Lincolnshire there are 48 children centres located throughout the county.  Each children centre offers a variety of activities, free drop in sessions and helpful services.  Any adult who is caring for a child can access services at the centre.  All children's centres offer child and family health services, advice and information for families, childcare and early education, support for parents/carers, and outreach services to children and families not attending the centre.  All centres involve parents in planning their activities, and they give you the chance to make new friends and share experiences.

Find your nearest Children's Centre.



Within your Early Years setting their will be a SENCo teacher or a member of staff that oversees the SEN provision.  A SENCo (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator) is a qualified teacher that can advise you on how the school/education setting can/will meet the needs of your child.  Some of the responsibilities they may have is:

  • To oversee the day-to-day operation of the educational settings SEN policy;
  • To co-ordinate provision for children with SEN;
  • To advise on the graduated approach to provide SEN support;
  • To liaise with parents, early years providers, Health and Social Care professionals, Educational Psychologists, other schools, independent bodies;
  • To be the key contact with external agencies and their support services;
  • To liaise the next education setting to create a smooth transition for the child and parents;
  • To make sure the educational setting keeps the records of all pupils with SEN is up to date

Further information about SENCo.


Other Support

Within some local areas, there may be further supoort groups run by charaties, parents and national services that could help and give you advice.  You can find support groups and other services in you Local Area via the Family Services Directory. 


< Previous

Next >

Identifying and Assessing a Child's Needs
Preparing for Primary School
Back to top