Skip to main content

Supported Childcare Funding (SCF)

Supported Childcare Funding is available to provide targeted support for families with children aged 0-5 years.  The funding supports short term access to childcare as part of a holistic family support plan.


Supported childcare places may be authorised through a referral based system where any of the following criteria may apply:

  • A child is at significant risk of not meeting the EYFS outcomes;
  • Parents/carers who are approaching/or at crisis point and need support. This can include parents of disabled children so that we can begin to meet our legal duty to routinely provide short breaks to prevent crisis occurring;
  • Families who are seeking work related activities and are ineligible for other funding;
  • Parents/carers who need short-term solutions to enable them to continue functioning through a change of circumstances


Supported Childcare places will only be provided if the parents, childcare provider, and relevant Children’s Services staff agree that it is in the best interests of the child.  Attachment issues and the development needs of the child will be considered carefully.

Referrals can be accepted from:


All children/families requesting Supported Childcare Funding must have a TAC, CIN, CP or LAC Plan to identify the unmet needs, unless exceptional circumstances have been agreed by the Early Years Locality Lead.

All referrals must be authorised by the Early Years Locality Lead following the completion of the appropriate referral form.  

Wherever possible, SCF childcare placements will be provided in a setting with which the child is familiar.  If this is not possible, then Early Years and Childcare Support will ensure that the chosen provider follows recommended high quality settling in procedures to ensure they meet the needs of the child and the family. 

Parents/carers can find out more information regarding the Supported Childcare Funding by contacting the EYE Team at Early Years and Childcare Support, any Children's Centre or by speaking to the professionals involved with their child.

Back to top