Skip to main content

Complaints about Early Years Providers

Complaint about a childcarer:

In the unlikely event you wish to complain about a childcarer, below is some guidance about who you can talk to.

Contract issues:

If you have a complaint about the service you are receiving from a childcarer the first thing to do would be to talk to them directly. It could be about costs, holidays, extras, billing arrangements, or any other issue.

All childcarers should have a complaints policy, which you can ask to see. The aim would be to sort the issue out between you and find an acceptable solution to both sides.

Breach of childcare regulations:

If your complaint relates to childcare standards which may include a place being refused when the parent/carer believes this is due to race, disability, language etc, and/or allegations of inappropriate behaviour, unsafe practice or exceeding childcare ratios, you can contact Ofsted who regulate and inspect childcarers, on 0300 123 4666 or by email at

For more information about childcare regulations go to:


If you are concerned about the quality of care your childcarer is providing which may relate to the safety and wellbeing of you or another child, you should also contact Lincolnshire County Council Children's Services on 01522 782111.

Other complaints:

Early Years Entitlement funded places for 2, 3 and 4 year olds

If you have questions about whether your childcarer is delivering this correctly, contact the Family Information Service on 0800 195 1635 or email

Lack of or unsuitable childcare in your area

If you wish to complain about the lack of childcare in your area, or that the childcare that does exist doesn't meet your family's needs, call the Family Information Service on 0800 195 1635 or email

We will see if we can find suitable provision in the area for you but if we are unable to do so we will send the resulting gap form on to Early Years and Childcare Support who will use it for future place planning.

Back to top