Skip to main content

Carer's Credit

Carer's Credit is awarded if you care for someone for at least 20 hours a week.  It is a National Insurance credit and it helps with your National Insurance record, which means your National State Pension will not be affected.


The person you are caring for

To be able to get Carer's Credit, you must be caring for someone (or more than one person) that is currently receiving 'qualifying benefits' themselves.  For example, this could be:

  • Attendance Allowance;
  • The middle or higher rates of the care component of the Disability Living Allowance;
  • Personal Independence Payment (daily living component);
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

If they are not receiving any qualifying benefit, the DWP will consider whether the level of care you are giving is needed for you to receive Carer's Credit.

Your situation

To be entitled to Carer's Credit, you:

  • Must be 16 and over;
  • Have to be under the State Pension age;
  • Must be looking after one or more people to get the 20 hours a week. 

Time off from care

If you take some time off (break in the care) you can still get Carer's Credit (only 12 weeks in a row of time off).  This could be because of various reasons like:

  • You go on holiday;
  • The person you are looking after goes into hospital;
  • You have to go into hospital

You must inform the Carer's Allowance Unit if this happen.  You can:

Call them on 0800 731 0297
Textphone them on 0800 731 0317
Monday-Thursday 08:30am-5:00pm
Friday 08:30am-4:30pm
Call charges apply

How much do I get?

You do not receive payment, but instead you will be credited with Class 3 National Insurance Credit.  These help you meet the contribution conditions for:

  • Basic State Pension;
  • New State Pension;
  • Widowed Parent's Allowance;
  • Bereavement Allowance

How to claim

If you already:

  • Get Carer's Allowance;
  • Get Child Benefit for a child under 12 years of age

You do not need to claim for Carer's Credit. 

To make a claim, you can download the Carer's Credit claim form.  This will include a Care Certificate (will need a health or social care professional to sign). 

If you wish to get the form sent to you, please ring the Carer's Allowance Unit:

Call them on 0800 731 0297
Textphone them on 0800 731 0317
Friday 08.30am-4.30pm
Call charges

You can request any alternative formats such as braille, large print or audio CD by calling the Carer's Allowance Unit. 

Sending Form back

to send your form back, please send to the address of: 

Carer's Allowance Unit 
Mail Handling Site A 
WV98 2AB

Back to top