Skip to main content

Admission to Special Schools

1. Education SEN and D 2. Applying for a School 3. Applying for a Special School
4. Support from the School 5. Concerns about Progress

3. Applying for a Special School

The majority of children and young people with SEN and/or disabilities (SEND) will have their needs met within local mainstream early years settings, schools or colleges.

Generally, pupils can only be admitted to a special school if they have a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.  This will require an EHC needs assessment in order for the local authority to decide whether it is necessary to make such provision.  To apply for a special school, you will need to contact the Special Educational Needs Team on 01522 553332, once you have spoken to your school and other teams involved regarding what is best for your child. 

Occasionally, exceptional circumstances can arise (such as a serious head injury) meaning that the young person cannot return to their mainstream school.  This may result in a pupil being admitted to a special school on an assessment basis as an Exceptional Placement.  An Exceptional Placement may be appropriate where:

  • A child or young person has moved into the county from another country which may have differing levels of support available for children or young people with Special Educational Needs & Disabilities;
  • There has been a sudden change in personal circumstances leading to the need for an emergency placement;
  • There has been a long term hospital stay resulting in a change in a child or young person's special educational needs & disabilities

Under the Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014, all schools are required to publish information about how they support pupils with special educational needs and/or disabilities and their families.  This is called the SEN Information Report.

You can find some information about each school in the education section of the Local Offer, where you will also find a link to the more detailed SEN Information published on their own websites.


< Previous

Next >

Applying for a School
Support from the School
Back to top