Working in partnership with Early Years and Childcare Support, the Early Years Locality Teams offer inclusion support for local Early Years providers (i.e. pre-schools, playgroups, day nurseries, registered childminder daycare and Local Authority Nursery Schools) to promote and support the early identification of children aged 0-5 years with additional needs and disabilities in order to improve outcomes.
An Early Years Specialist Teacher can provide support to Early Years Providers in order to help make the links between Education, Health and Social Care to facilitate appropriate early provision for children with SEN and their transition into school.
The support offered by Early Years and Childcare Support and the Early Years Locality Teams includes:
- Providing advice and practical support to early years providers about approaches to identification, assessment and intervention within the SEN Code of Practice;
- Providing regular support for setting-based SENCos in ensuring arrangements are in place to support children;
- Developing and disseminating good practice;
- Supporting the development and delivery of training both for individual settings and on a wider basis;
- Developing links with existing SENCo networks to support with smooth transitions between all providers (ie, pre-schools, playgroups, day nurseries, registered childminder daycare and Local Authority Nursery Schools).
Signed parental consent for the involement of an Early Years Specialist Teacher is required to support settings in meeting the needs of individual children. Parents/carers can discuss Early Years Locality Team involvement with their Early Years provider.